Traveling to Belize During COVID-19
In March 2020 at the start of the Global COVID 19 pandemic the Belizean government made the decision to close all borders to international travel for the safety of its citizens. In late August it was announced that the Belize International Airport would be opening on October 1st to international travelers as part of a phased re-opening.
To reopen Belize the Belize Tourism Board and Ministry of Health has put together a Gold Standard program with expanded health and safety measures to ensure the safety of travelers as well as the Belizean people. All Tour Operators and accommodations who wish to host international travelers are now required to be certified by the Gold Standard program.
To help you better plan your trip to Belize and to know what to expect when arriving in Belize we will help keep you up to date by posting the most relevant up to date information.
As of December 20th the Belize Tourism Board has changed the restrictions for travel, and those changes are reflected below.
Things to Know (Important)
- Masks are mandatory at all times on both public and private property, failure to comply is a ticketable offence with a fine of to $250 USD.
- Social distancing from anyone not in your immediate travel party is required, failure to comply is a ticketable offence with a fine of $250 USD.
- Visitors must stay at a Gold Standard Accommodation. Tres Cocos Resort has received the Gold Standard certification.
- Visitors will be allowed to travel freely around Belize, however it is highly encouraged that they limit their interaction to Gold Standard certified businesses.
- There is currently a curfew that is in place from 8pm to 5am. Restaurants ( aside from the on site restaurant) may not serve liquor after 6pm and most restaurants are closed by 7pm.
Don’t let these rules and restrictions stop you from visiting Belize. We’ve got you covered! The Tres Cocos Staff will help you set up that unforgettable Belize vacation. In addition to helping set up any tours that you request we will also help you guide you to the best restaurants and other Gold Standard certified venues.
Before Your Visit
- Download the Belize Health App and complete the required information prior to boarding the flight to Belize. A QR code with a unique ID number will be returned to you, and will be used for contact tracing while in Belize. he Belize Health App is available for download via APK file for Android (version 1.09 or newer) and in the App Store. The App can also be downloaded via https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
TIP: We highly recommend that you take a screenshot of the QR code to facilitate the entry process.
- We encourage you to take a Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Covid-19 test within 96 hours of travel to Belize OR Rapid Antigen, Sophia, SD Biosensor, ABBOT (Panbio) Covid-19 test no more than 48 hours prior to traveling to Belize. If you are unable to bring a Covid-19 test, you can take one upon arrival.
On Arrival in Belize
- You will disembark the plane – wearing a face mask – and proceed to health screening.
- If you brought along your negative Covid-19 test, and you are cleared by Health Officials during your health screening you will be able to proceed immediately for Immigration & Customs processing. Depending on your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing.
- If you were unable to bring the results of a RT-PCR or approved rapid Covid-19 test, you will be required to proceed to the testing area for a COVID-19 test. Testing is at the passengers’ expense and costs US$50.00. Only cash is being accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available.
- Testing at the airport will be done on a “Swab and Go” basis for tourists that will be staying in Gold Standard hotels.
- Only positive cases will receive notification from the Ministry of Health within 24 hours. Any positive tourist can quarantine at their Gold Standard hotel; quarantine is at the passengers’ expense and the Ministry of Health must provide clearance for you to leave quarantine.
- After being cleared by Health Officials, proceed to Immigration and Customs, and then exit the airport via the Tourism Safe Corridor using Gold Standard air transportation.
- After the fifteen or so minute flight you will arrive at the San Pedro airport and catch a registered taxi who will take you to Tres Cocos Resort!
During your Stay in Belize
- While in the country facemasks are mandatory in all public spaces (including in the common areas at the resort), and you’re required to practice social distancing and proper hand hygiene, to protect yourself and others you come in contact with.
- There is currently a curfew that is in place from 8pm to 5am. Restaurants may not serve liquor after 6pm and most restaurants are closed by 7pm. However the on site restaurant , The Dog House Sports Lounge, has received special dispensation to serve both food and drink to resort guests until 8pm. In addition The Sandbar has received a special dispensation for delivery until 9pm as well.
- As your condo has a full kitchen we also can stock your refrigerator/pantry per your request. In addition we can have both snacks or meals delivered to your unit throughout your stay. Have any dietary restrictions? Let us know and we will put together a list of food options that cater to your needs!
- We want you to see and do as much of the local activities in our beautiful country, during your visit. Please let us know what you’re interested in doing and seeing while in the country and we can help arrange this for you.
We will do our best to keep you up to date on all the most relevant information for your trip to Belize.
For up to date information the destination’s travel protocols and frequently asked questions, please visit: https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety