Traveling to Belize During COVID-19
In March 2020 at the start of the Global COVID 19 pandemic the Belizean government made the decision to close all borders to international travel for the safety of its citizens. In late August it was announced that the Belize International Airport would be opening on October 1st to international travelers as part of a phased re-opening. As of October 1st we are in Phase 3 of the re-opening process.
Under Phase 3 reopening the Belize Tourism Board and Ministry of Health has put together a Gold Standard program with expanded health and safety measures to ensure the safety of travelers as well as the Belizean people. All Tour Operators and accommodations who wish to host international travelers are now required to be certified by the Gold Standard program.
To help you better plan your trip to Belize and to know what to expect when arriving in Belize we will help keep you up to date by posting the most relevant up to date information.
As of October 19th the Belize Tourism Board has changed the restrictions for travel, and those changes are reflected below.
Things to Know (Important)
- Masks are mandatory at all times on both public and private property, failure to comply is a fine up to $2,500 USD.
- Social distancing from anyone not in your immediate travel party is required, failure to comply is a fine up to $2,500 USD.
- Visitors must stay at a Gold Standard Accommodation. Tres Cocos Resort is scheduled to receive its Gold Standard certification by November 1st 2020.
Don’t let these rules and restrictions stop you from visiting Belize. We’ve got you covered! The Tres Cocos Staff will help you set up that unforgettable Belize vacation. In addition to helping set up any tours that you request we will also help you guide you to the best restaurants and other Gold Standard certified venues.
Before Your Visit
- Download the Belize Health App and complete the required information prior to boarding the flight to Belize. A QR code with a unique ID number will be returned to you, and will be used for contact tracing while in Belize.
- We encourage you to take a Covid-19 PCR test within 72 hours of travel to Belize, as a negative result will allow for a ‘fast track’ arrival process.
On Arrival in Belize
- You will disembark the plane – wearing a face mask – and proceed to health screening.
- If you brought along your negative COVID-19 PCR test, from within 72 hours of your departure time, you will proceed to the ‘fast track’ lane for Immigration & Customs processing. Depending on your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing.
- If you were unable to bring the results of a PCR test, you must proceed to the testing area where you’ll be required to take a COVID rapid test. Testing is at the passengers’ expense and costs US$50.00. You then enter into the Immigration and Customs area for processing.
- Your results will be provided to you via your accommodation once, if they are not ready before you depart the airport.
If your test result is positive you will be subject to a minimum 14-day mandatory quarantine. You will be quarantined at your Gold Standard approved hotel for the duration, at your expense.
- Once you have passed through Immigration and Customs you will proceed to Tropic Air or Maya Island Air to catch your flight to San Pedro.
- After the fifteen or so minute flight you will arrive at the San Pedro airport and catch a registered taxi who will take you to Tres Cocos Resort!
During your Stay in Belize
- While in the country facemasks are mandatory in all public spaces (including in the common areas at the resort), and you’re advised to practice social distancing and proper hand hygiene, to protect yourself and others you come in contact with.
- As your condo has a full kitchen we also can stock your refrigerator/pantry per your request. In addition we can have both snacks or meals delivered to your unit throughout your stay. Have any dietary restrictions? Let us know and we will put together a list of food options that cater to your needs!
- We want you to see and do as much of the local activities in our beautiful country, during your visit. Please let us know what you’re interested in doing and seeing while in the country and we can help arrange this for you.
We will do our best to keep you up to date on all the most relevant information for your trip to Belize. However, for more information you can visit the BTB’s website, HERE, to view the most current updates.